The importance of having clean gutters
As a Toronto and Mississauga eavestrogh company, gutter cleaning and maintenance are some of our most common jobs. Home owners who are asking us to help with cleaning their gutters are right to do so. Clean gutters are necessary for the free flow of rain water from the roof and away from the house. Without clean gutters, serious safety issues can appear, from leaky ceiling to ice and snow buildup that can deform the roof and damage the house’s structure.
You should check your gutter system regularly to ensure that it is not clogged at any point.
Is it a Do-It-Yourself job?
Checking and cleaning your gutters is not a job for everyone. Your best choice will probably be to hire gutter cleaning professionals to clean your gutters for you. If you want to do the work yourself, you’ll need to gather proper equipment and learn how to preform the job in a safe manner.
WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU CLEAN YOUR GUTTERS BY YOURSELF, especially if you are not experienced with working on ladders and dealing with rain gutters.
Even if you are experienced with this kind of work, we advise that you read all the safety tips that you can find here and in other articles, and be very cautious when performing the wok.
Gutter cleaning safety hazards
Climbing on a ladder to clean your gutters can be dangerous. Anyone who does this must be extremely cautious before and during the work. Some of the potential hazards include:
- Your physical health and mental state. Do not perform this job if you are not 100% healthy, feeling dizzy, tired, not focused or having any other issue that can distract or disturb you while you are working.
- Pay attention to unstable surfaces. When laying equipment or using your hands and legs, make sure that all surfaces involved are stable, hard, dry and strong enough to carry the weight or pressure.
- Negative reaction to heights. If you are not used to work at heights, you may experience dizziness or fear when trying to do so. This can be extremely dangerous, as you can lose your balance and fall. This is another reason why you shouldn’t try to clean your gutters by yourself.
- Your equipment can fail you. Any piece of equipment – including your shoes, ladder, helmet, etc. should be carefully checked to make sure that it won’t fail at a critical moment.
- Forces of nature, such as strong wind, rain, hail, etc. Don’t perform this kind of work on a windy/rainy day.
Ladder safety tips
When climbing on a ladder, it is important to pay attention to the following:
- As stated before, avoid windy or rainy days.
- Check your ladder carefully to ensure that there are no defects that can cause it to break or collapse during your work.
- Lay your ladder on dry and stable spot on the ground, and on a strong and stable spot on the roof.
- Don’t set the ladder in an area where people regularly walk or move things such as a doorway etc.. Failing to do this can cause an accident in which someone push the ladder while you are standing on it.
- Keep at least 3 feet clearance of ladder above the point where it touches the roof.
- Make sure that the ladder (and yourself) doesn’t touch electricity cables.
- When climbing, never hold a heavy load that can impair your balance.
- When climbing or descending, hold the ladder at 3 points at all times: two hands and one foot or two feet and one hand.
- Move carefully on the ladder and never in a way that can cause you to lose balance.
Gutter cleaning is crucial for your home’s maintenance. The work itself can be dangerous and hard if you are not very experienced.
It is advisable that you’ll contact a gutter cleaning company such as Amazon Eavestroughing and save yourself the trouble and the risk of doing it yourself.