As an eavestrough company that serves homeowners in the greater Toronto area, we regularly encounter issues that could have been prevented had the owners took a few simple preventative steps.
Small rain gutter issues tend to grow if neglected
Did you notice any small change to your gutters? Something that can lead to a leak?
Small issues like that tend to grow if you don’t take care of them. Rain gutters are usually made out of metal. These materials may start to accumulate corrosion as a result of structural damage. Once the process starts, gutters condition will just keep deteriorating.
The negative consequences of leaky or non-functioning gutters are too much of a risk. The best thing to do is to have your gutter fixed as soon as you notice the damage.
Nature is not always on your side
In the Toronto area, it’s easy to identify natural causes that work against any homeowner with a gutter system that doesn’t work well.
The large amounts of precipitation that we experience here during all four seasons causes small rain gutter problem to quickly deteriorate in to bigger ones.
Another “natural” cause of problems is the abundance of trees in many of our neighborhoods around Toronto. Leaves from the trees tend to fall or drift in to rain gutters, thus clogging them and causing potential hazard.
Being aware of these natural causes should prompt you to take action and prevent future damage.
Use proven techniques to preserve your gutters
- The first thing that you need to do is to make sure that your gutters are clean. No leaves or other debris should be inside the rain gutters.
- Observe your rain gutters for cracks and signs of potential leaking. Such areas should be sealed or replaced with new material.
- Any spikes or screws that are not properly fastened should be replaced.
- Check all gutter connections to ensure proper flow of water in the pipes.
- Consider installing a leaf-guard to prevent leaves from entering and clogging your rain gutters.
Know when to call for professional help
Some of the above recommendations may be hard or even dangerous for you to perform by yourself. Use caution and common sense to determine whether or not you need to call professionals to help you. We’ll be happy to help as one of Toronto’s premier eavestroughing company.
Gutter maintenance tips
Safety considerations when cleaning rain gutters
The importance of having clean gutters
As a Toronto and Mississauga eavestrogh company, gutter cleaning and maintenance are some of our most common jobs. Home owners who are asking us to help with cleaning their gutters are right to do so. Clean gutters are necessary for the free flow of rain water from the roof and away from the house. Without clean gutters, serious safety issues can appear, from leaky ceiling to ice and snow buildup that can deform the roof and damage the house’s structure.
You should check your gutter system regularly to ensure that it is not clogged at any point.
Is it a Do-It-Yourself job?
Checking and cleaning your gutters is not a job for everyone. Your best choice will probably be to hire gutter cleaning professionals to clean your gutters for you. If you want to do the work yourself, you’ll need to gather proper equipment and learn how to preform the job in a safe manner.
WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU CLEAN YOUR GUTTERS BY YOURSELF, especially if you are not experienced with working on ladders and dealing with rain gutters.
Even if you are experienced with this kind of work, we advise that you read all the safety tips that you can find here and in other articles, and be very cautious when performing the wok.
Gutter cleaning safety hazards
Climbing on a ladder to clean your gutters can be dangerous. Anyone who does this must be extremely cautious before and during the work. Some of the potential hazards include:
- Your physical health and mental state. Do not perform this job if you are not 100% healthy, feeling dizzy, tired, not focused or having any other issue that can distract or disturb you while you are working.
- Pay attention to unstable surfaces. When laying equipment or using your hands and legs, make sure that all surfaces involved are stable, hard, dry and strong enough to carry the weight or pressure.
- Negative reaction to heights. If you are not used to work at heights, you may experience dizziness or fear when trying to do so. This can be extremely dangerous, as you can lose your balance and fall. This is another reason why you shouldn’t try to clean your gutters by yourself.
- Your equipment can fail you. Any piece of equipment – including your shoes, ladder, helmet, etc. should be carefully checked to make sure that it won’t fail at a critical moment.
- Forces of nature, such as strong wind, rain, hail, etc. Don’t perform this kind of work on a windy/rainy day.
Ladder safety tips
When climbing on a ladder, it is important to pay attention to the following:
- As stated before, avoid windy or rainy days.
- Check your ladder carefully to ensure that there are no defects that can cause it to break or collapse during your work.
- Lay your ladder on dry and stable spot on the ground, and on a strong and stable spot on the roof.
- Don’t set the ladder in an area where people regularly walk or move things such as a doorway etc.. Failing to do this can cause an accident in which someone push the ladder while you are standing on it.
- Keep at least 3 feet clearance of ladder above the point where it touches the roof.
- Make sure that the ladder (and yourself) doesn’t touch electricity cables.
- When climbing, never hold a heavy load that can impair your balance.
- When climbing or descending, hold the ladder at 3 points at all times: two hands and one foot or two feet and one hand.
- Move carefully on the ladder and never in a way that can cause you to lose balance.
Gutter cleaning is crucial for your home’s maintenance. The work itself can be dangerous and hard if you are not very experienced.
It is advisable that you’ll contact a gutter cleaning company such as Amazon Eavestroughing and save yourself the trouble and the risk of doing it yourself.
Resources for staying safe
Ladder safety training course
American Ladder Institute safety instructions
Ladder safety tips
As an eavestrough repair and cleaning company, we are helping home owners in Toronto and Mississauga by ensuring that their homes can endure the most punishing weather conditions that are common in our area.
While our last blog post was about cleaning your gutters and preparing your home to deal with Ontario’s summer storms, this time we’d like to help you prepare for winter.
Eavestrough maintenance before winter
Though doing eavestrough maintenance is a good idea all year round, it is becoming crucial before winter. The reason for this is that without a working eavestrough system, your house can accumulate heavy loads of snow and ice and this can cause some serious damage.
Here is a short list of things that you can do today:
- Clean your eavestroughs. Check to see if there are leaves, branches or any other type of debris on the gutters. Carefully remove them if you find any.
- Check your eavestroughs for any visible damage, cracks, bends or twists. If you find any of these, try to assess whether or not it can cause water to spill or ice to clog in these areas. You’ll need to take action and get it fixed if this is the case.
- Check downspouts and all pipes that are connected to your eavestroughs. Do they look like they’ll let large amounts of water flow through them? If not – again, you’ll have to get it fixed soon.
- Check for trees around your home that have a potential to fall down and damage your roof. Even just a branch can cause a great amount of damage. If you do find trees that are in close proximity, consider installing a leaf guard. This will protect your gutters from leaves that can clog it during the winter.
- If you had previously experienced ice accumulation in certain areas of your roof and gutters, consider installing de-icing cables. These cables will warm problematic areas and prevent ice from forming and damaging your roof.
Contact Amazon Eavestroughing if you have any questions about how to prepare your eavestroughs for winter.
On May 18 this year, Ontario cities and towns had experienced severe thunderstorms including strong winds, excessive amounts of rain and in some cases hail. The storm came after days of high temperature, sometimes above 30 degrees, which caused storm conditions to develop. The storm caused damage to homes and vehicles across the province.
Damaging storm slams cities in Ontario
Extreme weather conditions are common during spring and early summer in Ontario. Residents of cities around Toronto experienced another hail storm on June 25 and June 26.
Summer hail storm in the greater Toronto area
This storm brought strong winds and large hail – sometimes up to a dime size.
Toronto, Mississauga and other GTA cities had only a short time to recover before another hail storm on July 7th brought even larger hail to these cities.
Large hail in July, summer storm in the GTA
As residents of Ontario continuously experience throughout this summer, extreme weather is not so rare in this area. While some of the damage that these conditions cause to homes is obvious, other forms of damage are less visible and should not be overlooked.
Large amounts of precipitation overload home’s eavestrough / gutter systems, testing their capacity with amounts that may be larger than what they were designed for.
This can be especially damaging If eavestroughs are not clean and water can’t easily flow through the gutters. Hail presents another problem as it tends to accumulate and create areas of heavy load over certain points in the roof or in the eavestroughs.
The only rational thing to do as a home owner in Toronto, Mississauga and other cities in the area is to regularly check your gutters and make sure that they are clean. You never know when the next hail storm is coming.
Amazon Eavestroughing offers roof inspections and repairs that will increase your roof’s lifetime and save you money, minor repairs as shingles replacements, drip edges, chimney re-flashing, skylight leaks and re-flashing. We also do valleys, de-icing cables and full roof inspection.
For more information contact us and book your inspection or any other roofing need.
Amazon Eavestroughing uses only the best products and best methods available today for eavestrough installation. We specialize in seamless system – installation of one eavestrough that spans the entire length of your home.
Our eavestrough installation service is available in Toronto, Mississauga, and anywhere else in the GTA.
To avoid unexpected surprises during this process we will do a complete inspection of fascia board and soffit, right before we install the new troughs.
Our professional team will also use larger downspouts that ensure maximum drainage and make sure your system is in a proper level making the water flow to the spouts.
These are some of the steps we take to ensure that you do not experience leaks once the job is done and we’ll continue to stand by our work for years to come. We will provide you with a 5-year workmanship warranty against leaks on all our new installations.